Sunday, April 22, 2007

Shark finning: One more victim

Barely two months ago I compiled "Shark finning: A soup story", an article about the meaningless extermination of sharks all over the world to satisfy the ever growing -primarily Chinese- demand for shark fin soup.

On the 8th of April 2007, while diving in Raja Ampat, West-Papua, Indonesia, I came face to face with yet another victim of this irrational hunger.


At the end of a wonderful dive along a pristine reef in front of Sauwandarek village on Mansuar island in Raja Ampat, West-Papua, Indonesia, something too white among the colorful corals caught my eye. As I approached and realized what it was, I was once again reminded of the dark side of humanity.


One more shark slaughtered for its fins and carelessly dumped overboard to slowly drown in the shallows.


Judging from its state this one was murdered very recently, probably just the night before by some poor bastard trying to make a living.

No comments: